Hike

It was a damp afternoon. The gray skies seemed to cry as it succumb the pain that radiates from the earth. Raindrops trinkle on the grass standing a meter high beside the trail we are taking. The softened earth comforts our ground yet challenges our every step as our hike gradually reaches a higher ground. 

We've been on this trail for almost an hour now. And you've stopped talking as the light rain masks your tears, while the thunderstorms hide your cries of pain from a relationship that just ended. 

And my thoughts wander how near you are to me yet too far for my reach. And even if I'm able to grasp you, you would just slip past through the gaps of my fingers. Just like the water dripping on the leaves of the trees. They would come in contact, but soon must let go. We always have that tendency; to choose the one who'll break us. While the one loving us is tearing apart. 

Sunrays slipped through the open sky as we reached the summit. It glitters the landscape drenched by the rain; the leaves, the rocks, the trees. It shines through your glistened eyes as you manage to give a fake smile.

"What a beauty.", you said. 

"Beautiful indeed.", I replied as I look into your direction. 

"We're here, but you seemed not happy. Smile a little." You said as we settled down on a piece of dry earth.

"We are on a same boat. It's just that, you can force a fake smile. And I can't.", I mumbled.

An awkward silence occupied the air surrounding us.

"I know how you feel. And I'm sorry.."

I felt the sincerity in your voice. Its sweetness and honesty. The reasons why I fell..

"I feel sorry too..", I snapped back. "If only we could let these feelings go easy."

You stood up and reached for my hand. 

"It's time. Let's be free.." 

Your eyes pierced through me and numbed me within. I reached for your hand and feel the warmth for the first time since we started this journey together. The burden inside me lightens and I found myself standing beside you looking at the vast green landscape. 

Your hand tightens up in mine as I firm my grip fearing that I might lose you as we take a step towards uncertainty.

We've escaped the romantic tragedy that love has set for us. And for the first time together..

We are free.




Labels: , ,